Equine Swimming Pool
Horses do not need to be taught to swim but they do need assistance in learning a good technique.
They quickly learn to relax and enjoy the water. Once familiar with swimming, they are able to build on the amount of time they spend in the water.
During a swimming session, two lunge reins are used and a person walks either. side of the pool to guide the horse.
Benefits of Swimming
- Reduced downtime after injury
- Maintains fitness & condition during recovery
- Lower chance of injuries reoccurring
- Improves overall fitness
- Increases flexibility
- Improves Respiration
- Improves Circulation
- Improves muscle tone
All muscles, tendons and ligaments are evenly worked
- Non weight bearing
- Improves balance by teaching the horse to swim in a straight line
- No concussion caused by impact on hard ground
- Excellent treatment for laminitis, excessive weight and foot injuries
- Exercise for horses who would otherwise be confined to box rest
- Excess energy can be burnt off safely
- Keeps horses in top form long term – both mentally and physically
- Mental stimulation & ‘freshening up’ by varying the exercise routine
- Reduced veterinary bills
- Competitive Edge